Apologies to others, but Open Farm Sunday would normally happen a week earlier, as it does on other farms across the county. However, the trouble is that with our ice cream being in demand we are going to be too busy helping others. We will do our best the week later!
AT THE DAIRY UNIT
- Come and see what happens on a modern day dairy farm;
- See the cows having their toe nails trimmed;
- Meet the giant food mixer on wheels;
- Speak to the nutritionist that makes the recipe. Understand what goes into the mix and where it comes from. We try and keep the food miles down and grow what we can;
- Meet the baby calves;
- Understand why we bring the grass to the cows and not the cows to the grass!;
- See the cows being milked (PM only).
ON THE SAME SITE, SEE…
- A modern range of farm machinery. Sit on tractors – old and new;
- See grass being harvested.
BACK AT THE FARM
- Visit the farmers market and listen to local producers talk about their wares;
- See the butcher make a sausage;
- Watch ice cream getting made. Try some! Buy some!;
- See the sheep shearing, the spinning, and weaving of wool;
- Speak to the local beekeeper;
- Discover what has gone on in the past, and what artefact’s have been found, with the he local historian.
Find out more about our ice cream here.
Get more information on Open Farm Sunday here.